Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Memphis & Me

My husband and I have moved to Memphis. You know you really love someone if you are willing to move to Memphis for them. It is a terrible place with strange creatures referred to as red-necks and ghetto thugs. And this is not the cute south that you see in the movies where people move slowly, have manners and that adorable southern accent. Oh no- this is the "dirty south" where you can't understand what people are saying! They call it country but it is the most urban and incomprehensible ebonics you have ever heard.

I had thought that being surrounded by hippies sucked but now that I am here I am finding that I miss hippies. Not direct contact with them so much... but it was nice to know that they were around. They made it so that people couldn't smoke into your face, you couldn't litter everywhere and there were trees. Red-necks and ghetto thugs just don't care like a hippy would.

Currently, my main source of income is from my job as an apartment manager. Here I am asked one question more than any other and that is, "Does y'all gots any free beh-rooms?". It turns out that they are inquiring about the vacancies for apartments that contain three bedrooms. If you rent- go home and send a card to your manager and tell them that things are great and you love your home. We are not the devil- I promise.

Well, I have managed to start off on a negative note. We have met some decent people here too. In fact there are several that don't constantly use double negatives and actually pronounce most of the letters in their words. They don't count because most of them are from out of town too. I'm sure they will come up more in the future.

When there is more to tell, trust me you will be the first to know (by that I mean that I might actually get around to writing in here again some time and you might here about what I've been doing but don't fear because it probably isn't anything terribly exciting anyway).

9 Comments:

At 3:53 PM, Blogger James T Wood said...

You rock. I vote for Pedro.

 
At 4:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Without even knowing you (and primarily knowing your husband vicariously through Tim Lewis) I must say that you have numchuck skills.

That wouldn't be Silver Creek Falls in the background of your picture?

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger tabitha jane said...

or maybe it could be multnomah falls . . . but i don't think you can get that close to the water there. did you catch a tastey bass?
anyway, this dirty hippie loves you and hopes you come back to us very soon! because: you basically rock.

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger rebecca marie said...

I. Am. Hysterical! I didn't think your blog started out negative at all! It was comprised of awesome.

Thanks for the translation, I thought that the person was asking "do you have a bathroom I could use?" When you translated it, I nearly wet myself. toooooo funny!

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Mrs. Andrea Wood said...

Actually, it is horse tail falls and I miss it. Basically, I miss all places where water can come down a mountain!

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Tim said...

What's a mountain?

I hate you for giving me more reading options on the internet without offering me more time to do it. Come back soon so I can show you the illegal ninja moves from the government.

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Tim said...

Also, this better not be one of those fake out blogs that the person starts and their only post is the first one saying they don't know how often they'll post.

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger breanna said...

i basically love you to death (don't test me on that...cause it's true but i'd rather love you for a long long life...)

and you were BORN to blog!!! i just miss you so much! I'm thrilled that there's a fun new way to keep track of you and follow your dirty south adventures. so don't let us down...blog away!

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Miry Lou said...

I just found your blog through someone's site, I can't remember who. I'm from Memphis. I don't take what you say personally. I'm glad that someone can put to words what I felt and couldn't quite put my finger on when I lived there. I just figured I hated Memphis because I was in high school without a car. I will say that I and a lot of others who lived there (some still do) are neither ghetto thugs or rednecks. And, yes, gold teeth are disgusting. I don't know who decided that would be fashionable--it's not.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home