Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Nawlins' (New Orleans)


Me and My friend, Amber in New Orleans

I went to New Orleans this weekend and got to visit my dear friend, Amber. I drove 6 hours on Saturday afternoon and we went out to the French Quarter that night. It was pretty much like I imagined it would be but it smelled worse.
We ate alligator bits and rabbit & sausage jambalaya. I do not recommend the alligator- too chewy! We went dancing and fun was had by all.
The next day we went down to the river (the Mississippi) and rode a steamboat down the river and learned a lot about the history of New Orleans. Unfortunately, my memory sucks so I don't remember most of the tid bits shared with us but I know that at the time I was interested. I do remember one thing and that is that there was a guy who was very important to the city back in the day- a mayor maybe anyway, he had four daughters and the city named four streets after his four daughters. Did I mention that my memory is horrible, because I don't remember the daughters' names except for the one that is important to the story and that is Desiree. Some time along the way through city corruption, her name was changed on the street sign and the last "e" was dropped. No one paid any attention until there was a little something with the title, "A Street Car Named Desire". I don't think it would have been so successful if it had been called "A Street Car Named Desiree".
After that we walked through the French Quarter and during the day it doesn't smell as bad and the number of drunks is seriously reduced. In fact, in some places is was quite nice.

3 Comments:

At 5:32 PM, Blogger tabitha jane said...

is that amber t? wow!

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Mrs. Andrea Wood said...

I know- doesn't she look great!?!?!!!!

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger tabitha jane said...

basically amazing!
how did she do that?????

 

Post a Comment

<< Home