Monday, May 23, 2005

We Are Bad Dog Sitters!


Snickers after being hit by a car.

We were watching our friends' dog while they were gone working and visiting family in Florida. Her name is Snickers and she is awesome. She taught our dog, Rizzo how to play and now our dog knows that she is allowed to do something when she sees Snickers do it. The two are very cute together.

The day after she was dropped off to stay with us, we took her, our dog and an other dog we were watching out to the house of a family from church. This family has 25 acres, horses, peacocks and chickens. It is great! We thought that this would be perfect for the two dogs to have a chance to go run around and play. I was mostly nervous that they would spook the horses but we were assured that the only horse that didn't like dogs had been put away in the back barn. So we rode horses and let the dogs run around. Every 5-10 minutes we would call them back in to make sure they didn't get too far and get lost.

It was about time for them to come back again so I called to them a few times and our dog came bounding over the hill to me but there was no Snickers so I told Rizzo to go get her but she didn't do anything. I kept yelling to her, heard something from the street and kept yelling. Well, a neighbor from over the hill and through the forrest yelled "Are you looking for your dog?" I yelled back "Yes" and she had to tell me "She has just been hit by a car". Apparently I had heard the squeal of the tires of the person that hit her. They tried not to hit her but when they did, they drove off.

I went into a sprint out to the road to find our friends' dog on her side, not moving. I thought for sure that she was dead so I was so happy to see her try to hobble up when I said her name. James got the car and luckily we had a friend there that works at vets office and knew of an emergency vet open on the weekends. It felt like it toook forever to get there.

I thought for sure that she had broken her leg and had a cracked rib and possibly internal bleeding or something. They took her and looked at her and found out that none of those things were true. She got a few staples in her face under her eye as you can see in the picture and one in her shoulder.

Poor James was forced to call our friends to let them know what happened and they were really nice about it. We treated their dog the same way we treated our own and probably the same way they would have. I thought that they would hate us forever and I wouldn't have blamed them if they did.

I am just so happy that they don't hate us! And that Snickers is going to be fine.

5 Comments:

At 12:30 PM, Blogger tabitha jane said...

you got to ride horses?!

i mean, i am glad that the dog is ok . . . how horrible!

remember when ben n was car sitting at cascade for a friend that was in europe or something and the car got stolen? i don't remember all the details, but that probably wasn't a good situation either. maybe breanna knows better what happened . . .

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Mrs. Andrea Wood said...

The car was stolen!?! Although scraped and bruised at least our friends got their dog back.

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Yeah, I was house sitting for Jacon and Rici while they went away to celebrate their honeymoon. Leah came over and stayed the night with me one night and let precious Pico out. He never came back. He was hit by a car just outside their gate. The neighbors came over and told us he was out there. So, Leah called them and told them. Rich came over and buried him for us. It was horrible! I probably won't get a house sitting gig again any time soon. :)

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

And by Jacon, I mean Jason. And by honeymoon I mean anniversary. It is way too early for me to try to think and type.

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger breanna said...

tabitha, you have the awesomest memory in the globe. i hardly remember that myself, i'll have to check with Benny boo bear.

someone got us a plant for our wedding (who knows why) and i couldn't keep it alive for more than about two weeks. i remember thinking "if i can't care for a plant how on EARTH am i gonna take care of kids?!?!?

moral of the story: hope you don't think all your kids will get hit by cars.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home