Friday, July 14, 2006

Smart = Not Racist








Yesterday I was talking with one of the few non-racist people that I've met here in Memphis. I have had a lot of people say to me "I'm not racist or anything BUT there sure are a lot of Blacks/Mexicans around here and that is really bringing down the neighborhood". Just because you put the disclaimer at the begining does not prove that you are not a bastard. It is like saying, "Well, bless her heart- she is just as dumb as a doorknob".

Back to my point- Racism is stupid- literally!

It was our anniversary Wednesday and we went out to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse for dinner. If you are unfamiliar with the place it is probably because they are quite pricey (this was the first time I had ever gone). It was there that I noticed that a large majority of the people were wearing expensive clothing. The men were in nice suits and the women had real Louis Vuitton bags- not the knock offs you can get at the mall. It is safe to say that most of them had money and that probably came from have good jobs and that came from being well educated.

It was then that I also noticed that there were more multi-race tables at that restaurant then I have seen anywhere else in Memphis. It is sad but true.

My conclusion is this; People with an education know that being predjudice against someone becasue of their race makes no sense.

The person that I was talking to (remember, from the beginning of the post) said that he is friends with people of all races and I know it is true because I see him hanging out with all types of people. I was telling him that I like or dislike people based on their character. There are people of all colors that are wicked cool and people of just as many colors that are jerks.

I think I have told a story before about how I think racism is dumb.

You must understand that I am not saying that we are all the same, because we are not. I just think that differences like this shouldn't be seperating us. Carlos Mencia does a much better (and funnier) job explaining what I mean. Check it out.

Man, that was not fluid at all but you get the point.

10 Comments:

At 3:05 PM, Blogger Jess said...

unfortunately, I know plenty of racist people who have lots of education... :(

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger arwen said...

that last comment was from me, not Jess. I was just too lazy to delete it and re-type it.

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Jess said...

Do I sound smart and well educated when I make comments like that? I thought so.

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger RoniZee said...

No, you sound like RAJ.

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger tara said...

lol that was funny ronzzz

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger tara said...

everyone here is racist too- every time my boss tells a story, he has to say that "they were black", even when it has NOTHING to do with the story. just a fact and makes them scary i guess...it annoys me.

ps. i want you to know that when i typed "boss", i accidently typed "blood". i dont know what that means...

 
At 1:46 AM, Blogger Meg said...

I think smart people are simply better able to cover up their ignorance. It's not something they'll show blatantly, but that you'll see in the way they treat their coworkers, or anybody they might come across in daily life. Even then, it's more the way they hold themselves above anybody else, like the other's just aren't worthy to shine their shoes.

Let's just call it like it is, no matter how smart they may be, they're still poopy-heads.

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger tabitha jane said...

my friend got food poisoning at a ruth's chris steakhouse.

and also:
the name of that restaraunt makes no sense at all.

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger tabitha jane said...

and thanks for the postcard! you rock!

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger What The Hell Is This? said...

You definitely made a leap of the mind when you made a tremendous assumption.. this blog. Interracial couples cover Memphis. Poor, rich, educated, uneducated.. Hell, I know there are a few in the first service at our church.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home