Tuesday, February 14, 2006

I'll be PC, if that is OK with you

A few days ago, a friend of mine apologized for a comment made that he later realized may have offended me. It didn't, in fact when he said it, I thought nothing of except that it was his opinion.

When he apologized he wanted to make sure that I knew that it wasn't that he didn't like what he said he didn't like but that he liked something else better. That is fine but it got me thinking... are we so PC that we change our opinions because it may offend someone? I'm not saying that this is what he did but that it got me thinking about this idea.

There is a difference between tactfully expressing our opinions and being dishonest about them. I don't like radishes. I am not going to tell a radish farmer that I like them just because that is what he does. I hope that I would be tactful and not go on and on about how disgusting I think radishes are and how only people with no tastebuds or no brain eat radishes.



Do you know what I mean? Have you ever done anything like that?

5 Comments:

At 2:41 PM, Blogger Ryan Woods said...

My tendency is to do just that, to change my opinion to fit other people. I hate that and I fight against it if I think about it.
If I think about it I more often than not take the opposite view just to screw with them. That is a much better way to live my life I think.

You're coming to the NW?

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger arwen said...

I think it is all in the presentation. BAM! I was at a lunch over the summer when a non-blood relative (who was probably my brother-in-law or something...he's a great guy...) went on and on about how stupid a certain area of California was. He went on in such a way as to present it as Fact, not Opinion (caps intended). It did infact offend a co-diner who grew up in that area. So as long as you make it your opinion, it shouldn't offend anyone. and if it does... they're stupid and you don't care :)

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Mrs. Andrea Wood said...

Rizz- We are coming back- summer of next year. It is a long way away but it is the ONLY thing keeping me going.

Arwen- I am from California and I am terribly offended! Or- I am from California and I know that there are areas that seriously suck!

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger James T Wood said...

"Tact is describing others the way they see themselves." Abraham Lincoln

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger BD said...

Sigh, PC - what a ridiculously effort consuming petty function society has clung to. Nothing is politically correct really, because whats political?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home